Unearthing Operational Efficiencies
Complex environments require efficiency in many ways and on many levels. After assessing every component that impacts the pharmacy – workflows, use of technology, patient-mix, medications prescribed – we establish an efficient operating model that promotes continuous improvement.
Comprehensive Operations Audit
When a new client enlists our hospital consulting services, one of the first things we do is perform a comprehensive operations audit of the pharmacy, comparing what we find to our best practices.
- How is automation being used?
- Do staffing schedules match volume demand?
- Can we gain greater efficiencies from reengineering automation technology?
- How can we better utilize the hospital’s assets?
- Where can CompleteRx experts be used to elevate performance?
After conducting an expectations session with our clients to determine key priorities, we develop an action plan covering the first 90 days, next six months and one year to make sure everyone is in alignment.
- If we uncover a regulatory issue, we put together a checklist of items that need to be corrected and provide the resources to make it happen.
- If the key issue is getting drugs from the pharmacy to the floor, we will send our experts to do a Lean Six Sigma project that maps workflows, pinpoints inefficiencies and assesses staffing levels, etc.
- If logistics issues involve your automation systems, a CompleteRx operations specialist will review your dispensing cabinets and complete an optimization, reconfiguring cabinet inventory to reflect current patient usage.
With an efficient operating plan in place that supports a patient-care focus, we transition to the CompleteRx continuous-improvement operating model. We continue operations audits annually for our client hospitals, based on changes in regulatory and accreditation standards as well as best practices. Quarterly business reviews are an integral part of our approach, detailing the milestones reached, savings realized, regulatory compliance status, and nursing satisfaction progress among other success factors.
We take accountability seriously.
Our business intelligence initiative, which automates the information gathering process, complements our quarterly business reviews. In addition to dashboards tailored to individual client needs, we use this business intelligence to develop inventory management systems within our hospital pharmacies. These tools can provide an overview of comparative data across hospitals that can be used to drive additional operational improvements.
Comprehensive Operations Audit
CompleteRx continually looks for ways to provide patient care more efficiently. For example, decentralizing a pharmacy, with one or two pharmacists in the primary facility and others stationed on the floors, promotes pharmacy efficiency, builds better relationships with physicians and nurses, encourages patient interaction and better outcomes, ultimately impacting patient care.
No matter how good your team is, we’ll guarantee our approach will improve performance.